Monday, March 11, 2019

And out come the wolves

After making goblins and a bugbear, the last enemies I needed for the initial adventure in Cragmaw Hideout were a few wolves. With their dual status as a photogenic wild species and a fairy tale villain, you'd think that finding a little plastic wolf toy would be cheap and easy. If not, a bag of plastic dogs that look wolf-ish should be readily available in the dollar store. As far as I could tell, this is not the case. All the wolf toys I could find are over 4 cm tall and cost upwards of $4 each.

So, I went super-cheap. This tutorial and this video demonstrate how to make an easy origami wolf. There are origami wolves that are more detailed, but this one works for my skill level and for the size of paper needed for D&D minis. I cut out a 2 by 2 inch (5 x 5 cm) piece of tan copy paper for my wolves, which ended up being just the right scale for my miniatures. I used a black Sharpie marker to add some details, then cut out a piece of cardstock to glue the wolf to so that it wouldn't fall over. The overall effect is a bit chintzy, but the origami wolf fills the role and is practically free.

No comments:

Post a Comment